Friday, October 2, 2009

Day 2

They say the first day after you've decided to quit smoking is most difficult to follow through. And through experience I've learnt its the same for sensible eating. Yesterday, we received a Free coupon for a Jumbo 3 scoop sundae from a local ice cream place. After a few minutes of not even considering it, I was tempted to look at coupon again, ignore it, read again yearningly and finally come up with a definitive plan of how if I were to have it, I could shed all the calories gained in the process, by walking 3 miles each way to and from the parlor.
As I contemplated my plan, it hit me that I was willing to do all that walking at 50 F cool evening for one ice cream. Was my will power so weak that I couldn't survive one day? One Lousy day? Is food so much of an addiction? Did it precede my sense of resolve? These questions made me almost tear off the coupon, but then I didn't. I wanted it around, so that I could be proud and cherish my victory albeit inconsequential over temptation.
I decided to have an early home cooked dinner and an apple for dessert instead. I had a good nights sleep and felt lighter when I woke up knowing that I had won the first day of battle and am more determined today.

1 comment: