Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day 11

I celebrated my one week abstinence from eating out and chocolates, by eating out. It wasn't a celebratory, "pat on the back" decision to dive back into the world of gourmet pizzas and sub sandwiches but more of a resigned one. I had to give in because we were traveling for the weekend and eating out seemed liked the only viable option of getting my meals.
But this time it was different. This time the trip to a restaurant didn't involve a careful study of the menu, mentally savoring each ingredient that went into the dish, sensing the taste and finally making up my mind if I'd like it. It didn't involve looking picture of the Mediterranean pizza and drooling over it until food actually arrived at the table. This time there was no desire to sample the most tempting yet most unhealthy items on the menu. This time the need was basic. It was only to fulfill my hunger.
We were on a 3 day hiking trip and the only decent meal we got in each day was the dinner.
I tried my best to not go to town with the pizza, but the Pizza Place being the only restaurant open I didn't have much of a choice. But what made me proud of myself was that I didn't order dessert. I didn't succumb to the temptations of the hot fudge sunday or the ginger bread with pumpkin ice cream topped with oodles of whipped cream and chocolate sauce.
I had my pizza, drank my juice and the joy of actually looking at the menu and giving it back to the waitress saying "thanks, but that will be all" was my dessert.
For a moment I wondered if wasn't having the pizza being indulgent. But later I soothed myself with the knowledge it could be worse. I could have had the ginger bread. I must be happy with myself as now I slowly realize where to draw the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment